Saturday, October 18, 2008

In The Interest of Writing a Middle Grade Novel

Well I suppose I am officially eccentric/crazy/just-plain-weird as of today. I have moved my bedroom into my closet.

Why? Well, two reasons: One, my head hurts at the end of each day after working on a computer for 8 hours under fluorescent lighting at my office. Consequently, when I get home I am in no mood to go back to the computer under more fluorescent lighting, in a room with one small window, dark paneled walls and a tile floor. I haven't written anything in over a month, and I am so close to finishing my novel, I had to move my desk and computer upstairs into my old bedroom with its wall of windows facing the fields and woods out back. It is a beautiful, serene, and sunlight filled view and its just plain and simply better for the juju.

So I don't appear certifiable, you should know my "closet" was probably a nursery when the house was built almost 100 years ago, so it is big enough for my double bed, tv, table, etc. Its actually kind of cozy, complete with the slanted ceilings of a Cape Cod and a mini closet, too.

A fun fact about MD history: when this house was built, a persons home was taxed according to how many closets it had, not bedrooms. Hmmm.

#2 reason is because, being able to say that I "lived in a closet" while finishing my blockbuster pony novel adds a bit of color to my bio when I am a rich and famous author of The Tugboat Chronicles, right? Always have to plan ahead! :-)

No comments: